Sunday, April 26, 2009

Show Time

So I haven't been to a concert in a long time until last week when I went to go see the Dave Matthew's Band back home. While I'm not an avid DMB fan, I felt that it was my responsibility as a 'Charlottesvillian' to go to the to Dave's first homecoming show since 2006. The music is good, great for chilling or driving, but most of the time I just prefer to listen to listen to other things. Even though I only recognized a few of the songs at the concert, not well enough to sing along, I had the most fantastic time. I even had the worst seat ever but loved every minute of the show. Concerts for me is one of the biggest displays of love out there. Whether it be for a small 100 person show or 16,000, in the case of DMB, everyone is coming together for a common goal; to have a good time and to show their appreciation and love for the music. Standing high above the crowd at the top of the stadium, I got to sit back and observe the love. The entire arena was dancing and having the most real, genuine fun that I have seen in a long time. I could just feel the most positive vibe filling the room. Yes, I know some of the happiness and overall good feelings were aided by outside sources such as alcohol and marijuana but the positive energy was pure.

I have noticed the good feelings at smaller shows too. Friday night I went to go see fun and Manchester Orchestra at The National and the crowd was significantly smaller than the one at DMB but the people were having just as much fun. The entire crowd was full of smiles, as I looked around, I noticed that everyone was allowing their happiness shine through. They were singing along and dancing, just enjoying life.

I had forgotten how much fun I have at shows. While I am not the most expressive person in the room, I still love the entire experience just as much as the guy next to me dancing away. I just like to stand back, enjoy the music, and take in the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment