Monday, April 13, 2009

Sun Overdose

I have forgotten how much sunburn sucks.

Its been a while since my last real sunburn, the last major one I can think of was when I went to Costa Rica for the first time in ninth grade with my family for spring break. It was a pretty bad burn but it was only my face, so it wasn't that bad.

The weekend before last I went down to William & Mary to visit a few friends from home (four of my good friends managed to get in and all decided to go). The weekend was great. Friday night I joined WM's relay for life. It was the first one that I have done and it was really moving; the number of people that got together showed that people still really do care about improving the world. The relay was a ton of fun, but I got no sleep (we didn't get back to the dorm until 7:00am). Saturday was pretty chill because we were so tired but Sunday was the day that I got the most epic sunburn ever.

I went to College Creek/Jamestown Beach with my friends and a bunch of others for the afternoon. After biking the 3 1/2 miles there, we just sat on the bank of the York River for almost three hours. Because I still had some of my tan leftover from Christmas break I didn't worry about putting sunscreen on anything but my face. When we decided to leave the only color change on my body was the slightest pink on the top of my legs (nothing to worry about), then we got to dorm and I started to change colors like a chameleon. My stomach started to look tan, then pink, then vibrant red. As we drove from Williamsburg to Richmond I could feel the rest of me turning red. When I got back to the dorm, I had the worst sunburn that I have ever had.

Sunburn is a terrible thing. I would be freezing cold but my skin would be burning up. Every time I would sit on something, get into bed, or even get dressed it felt like someone was trying to pull my skin off. Showering was worse, it felt like someone was either pouring scalding hot water on me or skinning me alive. No fun at all. I have finally gotten over the sunburn fever and the pain but now I feel like a molting snake with the chicken pox. My skin just keeps coming off (even if i thought it was all gone) and the accompanied itch is unbearable.

I hope I get over this soon. I want to get back to normal but a tanner normal.

(This might have been too much information but it is all I have been able to think about all week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment