Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Fantastic!

The stress of looking for an apartment is over! For the last several months my friends and I have been searching all over for the perfect apartment but were never successful. We looked through craigslist, walked through the city looking for 'for rent' signs and even looked at what some reality groups had to offer. We would always get close to finding the perfect apartment or house but there was always something wrong. The places were always either too expensive, didn't allow pets (a must), too far from campus, or just not in the right part of town. Because we were having trouble finding a place to live and we didn't want to end up 'homeless' for the next academic year, my dad suggested looking at some of the houses that were for sale in the fan, because, maybe, just maybe, he could figure something out. It turns out that he was able to figure something out and my friends and I are living in a wonderful house on the edge of the fan, super close to campus.

We've only had the keys for two days, but the fantastic news has made it impossible to focus on anything but the house for the last week. I can't imagine living anywhere else. The house is almost a sage green, but a little brighter, with an eggplant door. The inside has just been redone, the only things we need to add are a washer/dryer stacker unit, furniture, and art for the walls. We even have a small backyard with some grass and a patio! The back yard will be great for our one dog or possible two dogs. The three of us just can't stop thinking and talking about the house, it is just perfect, almost too perfect.

I'm looking forward to leaving the dorms and moving in to a house, a real house with several bathrooms, a kitchen, a living room, and enough bedrooms for everyone to have their own. I wish I could say that my experience in the dorm has been wonderful but it is almost the complete opposite of that. For the first month or two it was great, I got to have a room all of my own (well sort of, I have a roommate) but I think I was still in shock of just living on my own. After the initial high of a new life wore off, I realized that I was going to have to share a tiny room with someone that I didn't know, suffer through several hours long fire alarms in the middle of the night and return to my room only to discover that my roommate has her boyfriend over. In the house I can decorate as I wish, putting nails in the wall (something the dorm does not allow) to hang my paintings and photographs. A few other great things that I will be able to do is to burn candles and incense in my room, both of which are stress relievers, I've had to somehow manage an entire academic year without two of my main relaxers. I can also bake and cook! Two things that I love to do, it also means no more gross Shafer. We will have pets too! Some of the pets include a dog, cat, hedgehog and either an other dog or just a rat or bunny.

For the next few months I plan on decorating my room, and, with the help of my friends, decorating the common areas. We already have so many ideas, we just now have to make them happen. Some of the ideas might be a little too ambitious, but we're excited and allowed to think big. We have plans for making our house the best on the block. I'm so happy about finally having a house that I could just keep writing what we plan on doing with the house, how happy I am to be leaving the dorm, and the plans we have for next year but I think right now is a good time to stop before I get too carried away.

No comments:

Post a Comment