Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Verbal Regurgitation

I really haven't been writing as much as I should. Last week I had the majority of an entry completed but then my browser shut down with no warning, so I lost the entry.  I never got around to writing it again so here's pretty much what I was trying to say...

Valentine's Day was rather uneventful.  My parents came for a visit because home is only about an hour away.  We went to lunch in Shockoe Bottom.  It was nice seeing them because I haden't seen my mom since winter break and had only seen my dad once since then (we went to the Richmond boat show together).  The Monday after Valentine's Day I went shopping with some of my friends/future roommates. We spent way over an hour in Barnes and Noble looking at books and eventually purchasing a few.  I bought "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath, "Everything  Is Illuminated" by Jonathan Safran Foer, and "The Kindness of Strangers" by Katrina Kittle.  So far I'm about thirty pages into "The Bell Jar" and like it a lot.  Hopefully within the next few weeks I will find the time to read and finish the three books.  Once I finish the books I'm going to make my second attempt at "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest."  I started it over winter break because my dad got it for me for Christmas but it is a harder and slower read than I had expected, so I need to take a break with lighter books.  I really missed reading.  the beginning of last semester all I did was read, but over time I got busier and busier and with the free time that I had I would rather nap or watch T.V.; anything that didn't require skill.  When I was younger I would read every night before I went to bed but as I got older reading became less of a priority.  I would like to reprioritize so I can read more.

The essay exam went really well.  I wrote a ton for the first question I answered about Ka and her father's relationship but wasn't able to answer the question, why does Danticat end "The Dew Breaker" so openly, as well as I would have liked.  I had decided to answer the hardest question, in my opinion, with only twenty minutes left.  Not the best idea.  I feel like I answered the entire question but could have done a better job with it.

One reason why I think I haven't been writing as much as I should is because I like to be inspired when I write and lately my school work is stealing all of my inspiration.  I am so drained when I finish all of my reading and assignments, that the last thing I want to do is write, just like the reading.  I know that this blog is required for FI, and that I have certain prompts that I have to respond to but it doesn't feel like a real assignment because I don't get immediate feedback or any feedback at all.  Without the feedback it feels too much like I am the only one for this blog and that I only have to write in it when I feel like.  Another reason why I don't write in it as often as I should is because I am always reflecting and by the time I get to a computer the moment has passed.  By the time I get to the computer I have already written it in my head once, reflected and come to conclusions, or at least partially resolved whatever I was struggling with.  Sometimes by the time I get to the computer I don't even feel the same anymore about the subject and feel that it is no longer important enough or worth it to write down and share.  I know I could reflect about my past thoughts and their progressions but that doesn't feel completely right with me.  I like to write about my current thoughts and not going back to thoughts that are even an hour old (unless my current thoughts are reflecting on how I was feeling earlier).  However I'm feeling at a certain moment, I am aiming to set aside at least thirty minutes a day to write or even try for an hour.  I have discovered that once I start writing, especially when its about my thoughts and emotions I write for a while.  I've been at it for almost an hour and feel like I could go on further but I won't (about blogging).  I need to stop making excuses for my lack of blogs and just write.

No comments:

Post a Comment